Director of Development – Advancement / Tucker, GA
Position: Director of Development – Advancement
Reports to: VP, Advancement
Location: Tucker, GA
Job Summary: This position is responsible for deploying a team of fundraisers (engagement managers) and personally responsible for significant philanthropic investments from private sources. The role includes building an aggressive, team-based strategy to acquire, expand and renew investments from partners who annually contribute four, five and six-figure commitments. Accountable to build a qualified portfolio of 100+/- donors, build a customized moves-management strategy for each relationship and generate $1M annually in unrestricted revenue. Markets include high-net-worth families and private foundations, and a limited number of companies and civic organizations.
- A Developed voice to passionately and convincingly articulate the Wellroot case for support.
- Implement and report against an annual plan consisting of giving levels, touches, communications, recognition and stewardship.
- Work the North Georgia market from Tennessee to Macon, Augusta to LaGrange and metro Atlanta.
- Build and maintain a personal portfolio of 100 +/- relationships that generate $1M annually for the Wellroot’s mission and ministry.
- Manage Engagement Team to raise min $750k in annual revenue from churches plus maintain an active individual portfolio and prospecting strategy
- Develop gifts and grants from high-net-worth families and private foundations, and a limited number of companies and civic organizations.
- Implement a customized moves management strategy for each relationship to include identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and renewal.
- Engage executives and select Board members as peer influencers.
- Manage the Advisory Board and objectives
- Work with the Marketing Coordinator to develop collateral materials including presentations, proposals, grant applications, gift agreements and stewardship reports.
- Set performance objectives and metrics for Wellroot major gifts and grants; gauge progress toward goals by reviewing monthly and annual reporting; monitor and provide periodic progress reports to key stakeholders.
- Design, vet and launch a Planned Gifts program with support from Engagement Managers.
- Manage the Development Coordinator to ensure proper implementation of development database
- Ensure consistency of tracking and input inside of CRM.
- Assist the VP of Advancement and Marketing Coordinator in the development of direct mail strategies to produce new donors, upgraded donors, and qualified major donor leads
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Work with the VP of Advancement to establish annual goals and performance objectives for the Engagement Managers.
- Work with colleagues to identify and cultivate prospective major donors and grant makers.
- Support the Board’s Development Committee and engage as appropriate.
- Support and engage volunteers, including volunteer grant writers.
- Master’s degree or CFRE or min 5 years’ experience in development
- Ability to engage in the North Georgia Methodist conference and culture.
- Five years of successful fundraising experience with concentration in individual major giving and private grants.
- Successful experience with a portfolio of 100 +/- assigned relationships.
- Proven track record of generating $500,000 in unrestricted revenue annually through relational fundraising, and meeting or beating an annual revenue goal.
- Experience with major gifts moves management. Proven ability to prospect. General knowledge of Planned Gift vehicles required.
- Relational fundraising experience in social service or faith-based organizations.
- Experience using development database such as; Donor Perfect, Raiser’s Edge or other database.
Skills & Attributes:
- Loves sitting with people face-to-face and asking for a financial commitment!
- Has solicited thousands of people for hundreds of major gifts over several years.
- Strong passion and affinity for Wellroot’s vision, mission and constituents.
- Demonstrates a keen sense of curiosity for donors – seeking to “crack the code” of what compels each donor to give substantially by asking the right questions.
- Able to personally adapt as needed to meet the needs of donors.
- Successfully aligns partner interests with our strategy and convincingly articulates the unique value proposition.
- Superior presentation skills, including the presence to deal effectively with diverse constituencies.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write and speak clearly and effectively, and to listen, and an unusual capacity to engage, inspire and persuade.
- A self-starter with a high level of energy, self-confidence, and a positive “can-do” attitude is essential, as is humility.
- Innovative and change-oriented leader, highly professional with ability and organizational expertise to effectively inspire staff and volunteers.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants and other supporters.
- Influential, credible, confident persona with strong personal stature, authenticity and executive presence.
- Hands-on, detail-oriented leader who will work shoulder-to-shoulder with staff and leaders.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to investigate, uncover, analyze and translate data into meaningful format that can be used to drive solutions.
- Ability to make decisions and exercise good judgment with limited direction in a changing environment and bring order to chaos.