Job Title: Accounting Manager
Reports To: CFO
Location: Tucker, GA
Job Summary: Manage the daily accounting activities to produce accurate and timely management reports including the financial statements and operating metrics to support the business managers; advise management on interpretation and improvement of results.
- Provides supervisory oversight to the General Ledger Accountant position ensuring that the agency maintains accurate accounting and complies with financial regulations.
- Implement general ledger and related systems (such as A/P, A/R) with assistance from CFO.
- Learn technical details of accounting systems Abila MIP and Microix.
- Develop monthly reporting package thorough discussions with CFO and management; review and update definitions of financial terms and metrics. Develop prior year references for inclusion in reporting package.
- Assist CFO with administering annual audits as well as other financial and administrative audits.
- Complete account reconciliations for opening balance sheet accounts and subsequent periods.
- Manage the daily accounting activities to produce accurate and timely management reports including the financial statements and operating metrics to support the business managers.
- Provide business analyses and insights into the operating results and variances (i.e., actual vs. budget, vs. forecast, vs. trends) according to the daily, weekly or monthly requirements. Work with management to understand results and provide advice on possible improvements in operations.
- Ensure financial records and system controls are in place and operating effectively, in compliance with GAAP and company policies, across the full range of financial systems including general ledger, financial close and revenue recognition, accounts receivable, cash collections, accounts payable, banking, payroll and employee benefits, income and sales taxes and financial reporting.
- Maintain the financial systems (general ledger and feeder systems) posting entries and transactions and become the in-house user expert for these systems. Supervise and establish controls for any users that impact the accuracy or timeliness of the systems.
- Provide leadership in the management of working capital, including customer invoicing, accounts receivable collections, vendor negotiations and vendor payments.
- Complete monthly reconciliation for all accounts. Research differences and post required adjustments, improve systems and processes to continuously enhance systems and reporting.
- Maintain revenue recognition workbooks (Excel initially) to accurately report software revenues. Analyze customer contracts to determine appropriate accounting and update workbooks to support monthly journal entries, calculation of backlog, monthly recurring revenue run-rate, and other operating information.
- Assist in maintaining policy and procedure documentation for financial and accounting systems, financial reporting in compliance.
- Maintain current knowledge of reporting and regulatory changes and impacts on the organization operations and books of account.
- Help drive the focus on operating results and continuous improvement by developing metrics and KPIs and related analyses that identify improvement areas, especially in financial and administrative processes.
- Assist in upgrading, selecting and implementing financial and administrative systems such as general ledger, HRIS, expense reporting.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in accounting department with progressive responsibilities, including general ledger and financial reporting responsibilities.
- Excellent computer skills and in-depth Excel experience, with NetSuite application experience preferred.
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills. Able to multi-task and follow through and complete overlapping projects.
- Assertive and comfortable communicating across the organization. Good interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail while working under tight deadlines
- Experience with Cost and Audit Principles for Nonprofit Organizations preferable.